Thursday, July 21, 2005

I could see the Darkness looming so I got off the path...

While this may be a bit of a thematic leap, I was just thinking about my career as a Chemical Engineer and how it came to a voluntary end with a company that I was working for.  It's just that, at a certain point of my internship with this company, I realized that if I continued down the road I was on, I would be working there as a chemical engineer and all that that would entail.  It seriously made my stomach turn.  The work wasn't terrible but it wasn't engaging or challenging.  I could see myself stuck in that or similar jobs, checking the same pipes and valves, adjusting the same meters, eating the same lunch.  Now that might have been an irrational fear, knowing that I could've done much different work in multiple fields and that I should have stuck with it, if only to get my degree.  But the place I was in...I honestly dont think I would have made it.  Have you ever known, deep down inside, that you're in the wrong place, doing the wrong thing.  Not necessarily morally wrong but just that you're not where God needs you to be?  It was like that.
 
The trait...
I realized I asked this question without giving an answer.  The trait I would give my Wife (I almost typed fiance...still getting used to the title, although I think it doesnt do her justice) would be Confidence.  Sometimes she seems to waver in her belief in herself and in those moments, I wish I could bolster her up, without her feeling like I'm just doing it because I love her (which I do) and not because she's so incredible (which she is)
 
Damn you J.K...
So I just finished the lastest installement of the Harry Potter series and, despite my best efforts, am a little jealous of her skill.  Her writing is good but her storytelling is better and her ability to have an audience build up empathy for characters is incredible.  I just hope that as I continue to write, my ability to make a character seem real and engender real emotion from the reader comes anywhere close to hers.  I think I can do it, but it will take practice (and editing...lots of editing) for me.
 
Thats all for now...Hotter than hades around here this week...
 
Benticore
Out

No comments: